Friday 23 October 2009

Operation Pied Piper Petrifies Parents



The terrible Blitz has forced millions of civilians to flee to the countryside where it is much safer.





Children being evacuated


Children and many other people are being evacuated, not just by train but by road also. They are being evacuated to smaller towns and villages in the countryside. Some children are sent to stay with relatives but others are sent to stay with complete strangers.

Maria, a thirteen year old girl, said "It was a terrifying experience leaving my mother at such short notice. We travelled by train and it was quite a long journey. I could hardly breathe. When we arrived at Wales, I was the last child to be chosen by a host family. In the end, I was chosen by a tall, healthy looking lady. But I soon found out that she was very cruel. When I got to the house she told me to take my clothes off. But when I refused, she tore off my clothes and I was forced to go into the Kitchen. Then, I was shoved into a tin batth which contained Dettol in it. Then my host father shaved my head until I was bald. The experience of evacuation has made my life a misery."


Experts suggest that by the end of the Second World War, 3.5 million citizens, mainly children, would have experienced evacuation.

By Gena Shkoza,
Jathesh Sakthipakan,
Rosetta Richard,
Max Kerrison

No comments:

Post a Comment